Who said I never fail at anything? Well, I wouldn't quite call it a failure but we decided not to compete in the robot competition this weekend. We just threw in the towel this morning. I think our first hint of failure was on Sunday. I have been lucky to have an advisor that leaves me alone on Sundays, so there I was downstairs, sleeping on the couch during our "family nap time" after our drive home from church. I was surprised when my advisor called and woke me up to inform me that my teammate was confused, probably from the lack of sleep, and plugged the 5 volt laser scanner into a 12 volt power supply. It was smoking before it died. Goodbye $3000.
Actually, we had a hint a week earlier when a teammate accidentally shocked our main computer and killed it. Goodbye $2000.
But it wasn't all a bunch of hardware failure, more like bad planning and a lot of panicking.
We still could have gone and competed, but when I found out that my advisor was paying for and replacing all of the equipment out of his own pocket, and that he would be paying for the whole trip also. I didn't want to spend all that money just because I don't want to give up.
Oh well, we got some great robots out of it. Soon I hope to post some pictures of it.
Last night at dinner Melissa was catching me up on all of the funny things Morgan has been saying. She told me a story of how Morgan a couple days ago pointed to Melissa's chest and asked "Why do you have those?" So Melissa replied "You just get them when you become a women." So Melissa said "So I'll get them when I become a woman?" and Melissa said yes. Morgan then said "So why does Daddy have them?" And Melissa said (I don't know how she was able to speak between laughter) "No he doesn't" and Morgan said "A little bit he does." I guess I need to start working out more or something.
So life will hopefully get back to normal now and we'll start to enjoy our summer.
Thursday, June 7, 2007
Failure?
Posted at
10:19 PM
1 comment
· Read & Write Comments Here ·
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Adam,
Wow! I don't even know what to say. You have worked so very hard. I hope that you are able to feel like you have accomplished something worthwhile in the construction and development of your robots. Although you were unable to attend the competition, perhaps this is the beginning of forward progression. I am happy to hear that you will have more time to lead a normal life - the hours you've been working are insane. You've made a wise decision and I hope you enjoy this new-found time of yours.
Great story!!
Take care - you're a good man!
Cindy Lou
Post a Comment