Happy Mother's Day! Today was Morgan's first Mother's Day Primary Program. She was one of about ten primary kids to stand up and sing to their mothers. She did pretty good. She sang the latter half of both songs; however, she started only after she was through picking her nose. We're very proud--of the latter half, the rest we'll have to work on.
Afterwards, while I was listening to the normal Mother's Day poems and the staple 2000 stripling warrior story, I was thinking about other examples of mothers found in the scriptures. The first example that came to my mind was the widow who fed Elijah during a famine (1 Kings 17:9-16) and how she planned on making the last of her food for her and her son. However, she faithfully obeyed when Elijah promised her that she would have enough meal and oil to last the famine if she would feed him first. I then started thinking (obviously I wasn't paying too much attention anymore) about the mothers in my life.
Just yesterday Melissa and I were talking about how, from what we've seen, when one generation decides to become casual in their church membership, within two generations the grandchildren completely withdraw themselves from the church. Melissa spoke about how grateful she was that her mom remained active throughout and after her divorce. I couldn't imagine dragging four girls to church on my own, especially for 20 years.
Today during choir practice (I know, choir--just believe me, your imagination is better than actually hearing me sing) I watched Melissa leave the stand to sit and talk business with one of her Young Women counselors. I had to stare. Only 18 months ago when we were first called to Huntingdon Melissa needed me to hold her hand to prepare a 10 minute lesson. Now she is responsible for teaching several young women, preparing two counselors and one secretary, who all come to church without their husbands, two of whom bring their children, for the day when Huntingdon will be self-sustained and no longer need people from the University ward. She also has two visiting teaching partners to visit three sisters in the home ward. I don't know how she suddenly became so independent, but I am certainly grateful Morgan's mother is Melissa. She teaches Morgan to do what is right, and does it.
Today, of course, I was thinking about my mother. I often chicken out on Mother's Day and say a quick 'I love you' over the phone or webcam. Like every Mother's Day, I am always thinking of everything she has had to put up with over the years, including the inadequacy of my Mother's Day gift (or part thereof), or my failure to show my appreciation. However, every Mother's Day I think about how much I love her and how, like the widow, she has put first-things-first and been an example of following the Lord and doing what's right. She has always been a good example to me.
Sunday, May 13, 2007
Mother's Day
Posted at
2:51 PM
1 comment
· Read & Write Comments Here ·
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
What is the latest? It has been 10 days since any new posts. How am I supposed to kill time at work if there isn't any new content?
Hope you are all doing well. I think we need a video of Morgan catching some fish and then of Adam cleaning, cooking and eating it...
Matt
Post a Comment