Today Morgan's school teacher came over for her bi-weekly home visit today and asked Melissa what a temple was. I guess on Friday while at school, during playtime, Morgan hollered out from the building block station "Who wants to build a temple with me?" and only the three other LDS kids in her class met her at the blocks to build a temple. Miss Jean, Morgan's teacher, asked them "What's a temple?" and they just responded "A temple!" thinking that explained it all. So Miss Jean asked "Oh, a Mormon temple?" and she said the kids just stared at her. So she asked Melissa who then explained our beliefs about the temple and being sealed for eternity. So far Morgan has been a better missionary than we have.
The other day, while at cheer class, one of the kid's nanny was, oddly enough, giving the three year old kid some coffee. I guess Morgan was just starring at them so the nanny asked Morgan if she wanted some and Morgan responded "NO!" quite loudly "I don't drink coffee!" She sure stood her ground. Combined with that and several other occurrences she has been offered to break the word of wisdom more times than I have.
Today Melissa and Morgan were looking online for some Christmas ideas. When they came across...something (I don't want to give any ideas!) and Morgan said "That's what I want. OK, print it out" and Melissa said "What good is that going to do?" and Morgan replied "Then I'll have them." Morgan apparently thinks we can just print out anything we want. Wouldn't that be nice; you think ink cartridges are expensive now!
Lately Morgan has been overwhelmingly critical of herself. We have had some dramatic events with her having "nothing to wear," or when her drawings looking "too crazy," or when she can't write her letters exactly like her teacher. For most of her life she has picked out her clothes and dressed herself, but lately she sometimes just sits in her room crying because she can't find the perfect shirt or pair of pants. Stop Mom, don't say it--I know she gets it from me! I thought I was a perfectionist and that I beat myself up over things; not compared to Morgan. Today Morgan was at her art class (more like doodle free-time with a little organization) and the teacher was telling them how to use some paint and their hand prints to make a spider for Halloween. I guess Morgan was so disappointed in her spider that she started to cry. She pulled Melissa aside and told her "I don't think it looks like a spider." I don't know why she is such a perfectionist, or why she feels the urge to point out that our outfits are "too crazy," but that's certainly who she is! Although it has helped a couple times. Just the other day, when my two favorite pairs of pants and three pairs of shirts were dirty (I'm a grad student--I don't need any more than that to wear in one week), I let Morgan dress me. She's pretty good, and always willing to help out with the clothes!
Wednesday, October 17, 2007
The Perfectionist
Posted at
4:32 PM
0
comments
· Read & Write Comments Here ·
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment